As marketers, we are often expected to generate astounding and effective ideas that help a brand to grow. This isn’t always easy and often times ideas are used and reused time and time again. If you find yourself hunting for new marketing ideas and campaign ideas, we’ve compiled our top 5 go to’s for you. Below are our tried and true methods of finding fresh ideas:
- Follow leading brands (check in on websites, follow on social, watch them in the news) - Find brands you trust and follow them in whatever way is most fitting for your habits. For us, that means following their social channels and seeing what they’re up to. For you, that might mean reading up on their blog posts or visiting their website from time to time. The benefits here depend on what kind of inspiration you’re looking for. If you’re hoping to find content marketing ideas, new ideas for blog posts or for your website content, look for solid blogs and websites to follow. If you’re just looking to spice up your social media game, find brands that are doing it well and follow them. We often find that if you’re at a loss of where to start looking for your leading brands, the news is always a good start. If the brand is in the news or regularly running “buzzworthy” campaigns, you might consider following them. Nike is a great example of a brand that is regularly in the news for their campaign strategies and messages.
- Go to a new place - Whether this means traveling to a new country or a new coffee shop, putting yourself in unfamiliar environments is a great way to get the cogs turning.
- Read and then read some more - Every marketer is busy busy busy so where and how you find the time to read is completely up to you. For us, this generally means reading short articles from inspirational sources such as the HubSpot Marketing Blog. If you find you have a bit more time, you might delve into actual books from marketing experts like Gary Vaynerchuk, Sean Ellis and the Marketing for Dummies series.
- Go to Conferences, Trade shows or Seminars - This fulfills nearly the same purpose as going to a new place but has the added bonus of surrounding yourself with industry experts and peers. Whether these events are one day or a long term thing, attendees are sure to gain insight, inspiration and more. Take this time to listen, find out what others are doing with their marketing strategies and mold those ideas into your own.
- Network - Networking is more than talking to peers, it means putting aside the time to get to know other professionals. These professionals may be in your field or they may not. The benefit of networking is that you are purposefully exposing yourself to new people, new ideas and new ways of thinking.
There are different means of gaining inspiration for different comfort levels. If you don’t feel comfortable regularly exposing yourself to new places and people, you can always turn to the internet. You may feel more cozy reading online articles or flipping through an industry leading book. Whatever you choose, we hope these few ideas have helped you along your way in finding your next big marketing idea.